11 September 2008

Darn, I Wish I Could Sew


My Mother used to sew everything when I was growing up, from tablecloths to potholders to the frilly-nilly dresses she made me wear to school. She bought me a sewing machine when I was four, and I think I enjoyed it until I reached an early independent stage around five, and first swore I would never be like My Mother. So, today, I have to rely on my mother-in-law to hem my pants, and spend $20 for a new cushion I should be able to whip up myself. There is so, so much we could do to be a Good Bride if we could just do a little bit of sewing. Plus, there's something so earthy about the feeling of having made something tangible. So, for Christmas, I'm going to ask Santa for a sewing machine, and start exploring what fun I can have. I really don't think it's too late. I'm looking out for a sewing machine that's easy to use and somewhat affordable, and here's the affordable Brother model I'm thinking of today. It was highly reviewed by people who sound a lot like me. One even said she made a quilt on her first day!